Steelers/Packers or Giants/ Patriots
Although - look out for the NO Saints.
Greg Lecker (PGA Director of Golf, Sawgrass Country Club)
Super Bowl pick – Forty Niners
1. Pro Shops have customers by virtue of the game that other retailers envy.
2. Pro Shops have a brand by virtue of the course they are associated with that is unique.
3. Pro Shops have only their own lack of vision limiting their potential.
This being the case and the barometer for next year being only temperately optimistic, let’s review 2011, answering some tough questions with an eye toward the New Year. I have hyperlinked some key phrases back to appropriate entries to give the questions added meaning.
1. Is your staff comprised of likable assistants and clerks who will provide an incredibly pleasant atmosphere and experience for your customer?
2. Are they educated with the product knowledge they need to talk intelligently about all the products you are attempting to retail?
3. Have they been inspired to provide that knowledge as a service and follow-up?
4. Have they been empowered to think outside the box, to WOW your customer?
These are the toughest questions, as they may involve some tedious answers, but staff cannot be expected to produce if they are not educated and inspired. Once the bar has been raised and the culture has become one conducive to retail growth it will become quite clear which players do not enhance the team.
Some of the more meaningful in-between questions that should be answered by way of review are the following.
1. Is your inventory level at season end one that your sale history says will turn 3-4 times a year or better?
2. If not, have you devised a strategy to get it to that level?
3. Have you developed a plan for 2012 that involves buying to space and projected turns?
4. Have you developed a promotional schedule that will inspire sales.
These are the considerations that should preempt any plans in Orlando or any decision as to how to invest in inventory for the coming year.Between now and the Golf Show I am offering the two manuals, "The Winning Golf Culture" and "The Merchandising Buy Plan Guide" sold here on the blog at a special package price. The BUY NOW icon at the top right of this entry will get them delivered ASAP.
I am also offering a day visit to your facility customized to your needs which could include creating a buy plan and determining proper inventory levels and turn as well as providing a customer-service and retail training seminar for your entire staff at a reduced rate. This visit would also include a copy of both manuals. If interested, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 443-309-3005 to discuss.